How much does a patent cost?
Spread over its entire 21 year life, an Australian standard patent for a single mechanical invention typically costs in the vicinity of $30,000 + GST (an average of about $1,450 + GST per year).
An innovation patent to the same invention would likely cost about $9,000 spread over the patent’s 8 year life (an average of about $1,150 per year).
You don’t need to pay this all at once and the patent process can be stopped at any time. Per the graph below, the costs are spread over the years but not completely evenly. During the early years there are a few bumps in the graph related to the costs of writing the initial patent application and examination. To stop the process, simply let us know. We will charge for work already completed but there are no further costs.
Costs vary significantly depending on factors such as the complexity of your idea or invention and the objections raised by Examiners.
Please contact us for a matter-of-fact discussion regarding costs.
- How to minimise patent costs
- Funding for patent and design protection
- Fixed pricing for patent attorney services causes problems
- How to patent an idea or invention
- The Australian patent application process
- Protecting your invention internationally
- Why does it take so long?
- What is a patent?
- Contact us